Profile Picture

Know me

Senja, 20 years old, Helsinki/Finland
Read more...
Sponsors, collaborations...
Terms of Use...

Find me

Email me Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google Plus flickr

Follow me

Follow Puukengät

Thursday, November 8, 2012

30 pieces will do for your wardrobe


Click below to see the rest!



Everyone knows the feeling. You stare at your overly-full closet, thinking, I have nothing to wear. How did it happen? How did all those great finds turn into a shapeless mass of clothes that suddenly don't look so good?

I like to dream of the perfect wardrobe. Everything matches with everything, all the clothes are flattering and fit my style. The closet is neatly organised and doesn't look like a bomb exploded in it. No shopping-disasters to be found.

But how to achieve that?

Less is more

A long time ago I heard somewhere that you can build a perfectly sufficient wardrobe from only 30 pieces of clothing. Back then it sounded crazy, surely you'd have to wear the same clothes every single day! But now, I'm starting to think that maybe there is some sense to it. Inspired by this collage at the Everyday Minimalist I decided to make my own.

Wardrobe essentials

So what are my wardrobe essentials? 

Coats

(numbers 1&2 in the collage)
A classic trench coat is a must-have. In my collage I have a Burberry Prorsum Tweed trench, (1) but I could easily go for some other brand or trench coat, as long as it's good quality and fits nicely. For cooler weathers I'd need a parka coat, the one in my collage is from Woolrich. (2)

Blazers

(3-5)
Coats are essential, but so are blazers, at least in my opinion. When choosing for a blazer, I tend to go for a classic cut, although I do like oversized blazers as well, like the See by Chloé blazer in my collage. (3) A navy blue blazer is also a safe bet, a true classic. Black would be fine too, but with my skin tone black is often too harsh, so for my collage I opted for this navy blue blazer from Majestic. (4) The iconic Coco jacket is also definitely worth coveting. This more modern version is from Selected, (5) but I might just as well opt for making one myself. 

Knits

(6-8)
I'm always freezing, and I tend to wear knit sweaters all year round, so I prefer real wools over synthetic materials, as the real deal doesn't actually get too warm in the summer. The shorter button up sweater from the Finnish designer Samuji (6) is certainly gorgeous, but then I might just as well make one myself. A chunky white knit is also a must-have, the one in my collage is from Isabel Marant. (7) I also like to wear knits as a dress on my lazy days, which is why I need a longer, almost dress-length knit too. The length is also great for the winter months, helps to keep the pesky UTIs at bay. The oversize knit in my collage is from Acne. (8)

Tops

(9-13)
Basic tops for me please! A long-sleeved white shirt goes with anything and is a true wardrobe essential. The one in my collage is from Calvin Klein and it's actually called Finland... (9) what a coincidence! Grey sweaters are also great, they are comfy and cute, and easy to combine with everything. The grey cashmere pullover in my collage is from Equipment. (10) White t-shirt is an item you really can't forget. It's like a blank canvas and goes with anything. The one in my collage is from Samuji. (11) A button-up is also quite necessary for a business look, but instead of going for a traditional one, I chose for a sleeveless version from Chloé. (12) The black lace top would be for the more formal occasions, or a night-out. This one is also from Chloé. (13)

Pants

(14-18)
I'm more of a dress and skirt person, but lately I have gotten into wearing pants too. Classic cigarette pants are my favourite, in a variety of fabrics, like tweed. Slim-fit pants are also a must-have these days, and a stretchy fabric will make them perfect for a lazy day too. Simple and classic. (14 from Chloé, 15, 16 and 17 by Tommy Hilfiger) Of course, I do need sweat pants too, even if it's only for the lazy days and mornings. The ones in my collage are from Selected. (18)

Shorts

(19-20)
Shorts are both for summer and autumn, thus why they are a true wardrobe essential. I have gone for only two styles, and you won't find any denim shorts on my wishlist. The blue satin shorts would be perfect for both a relaxed and a more formal outfit, and in shorts I don't mind the bold colour. The ones in my collage are from T by Alexander Wang. (19) The short tweed shorts should also be really cute both in autumn and summer. The ones in the collage are from Alice+Olivia. (20)

Skirts

(21-24)
I love skirts. With the right length and fit they are so flattering and cute. My favourite skirts are usually a-line and either knee-length or just above the knees. Those are the most flattering lengths for me and my 162,5 centimetres. I fell in love with pleated skirts last year, and they are so versatile. I could totally see myself combining the lace top with the pleated skirt for a more formal look, and for a more relaxed look I'd just pair the pleated skirt with a grey sweater or a white knit. The pleated skirt in my collage is from Chloé. (21) Houndstooth is one of my favourite prints, also in skirts. I love the preppy vibe, and the McQ Alexander McQueen skirt is simply perfect. (22) Of course, a classic pencil skirt is also a wardrobe essential. I however also like a more casual pencil skirt, especially this James Perse cotton-blend jersey pencil skirt. (23) A black skirt is also a must-have, and this Marc Jacobs wool-blend skirt would definitely be welcome in my closet. (24) Or then I'll just make something like it myself.

Dresses

(25-28)
Dresses, can't get enough of them. Dresses can be styled so easily to fit almost any occasion. Classic dresses are not-very-surprisingly my favourite. The grey Chloé dress is so perfect, and I definitely want something like it. (25) The fuchsia pink Thakoon dress is more formal, (26) a real eye-catcher at any party, but it could also be dressed down with the white chunky knit. I think a girl needs to have at least one more boldly coloured dress in her closet, for the occasions that require a proper confidence boost. A striped dress is also a classic, perfect for summer and a nautical look, and of course, we can't forget the little black dress. If a girl needs a boldly coloured dress, she certainly needs a black dress, even if she usually doesn't wear black. Not to sound morbid, but there will always come an occasion for a black dress, and for those occasions it's good to have the dress already hanging in your closet to save you from going shopping during emotional moments. Of course, a little black dress is perfect for happier occasions too, like cocktail parties and such. Both the striped dress and the black dress are from Samuji. (27-28)

Extras

(29-30)
Truth to be told, I could've survived with 28 items as well, but 30 sounds much nicer. So as extras that are useful to have in your closet, I have a ball gown and a cape. There aren't usually that many occasions for wearing a ball gown, but if you happen to get an invitation to a ball, it's useful to have one. A cape is also nice to have, it'll finish off your evening looks. A gorgeous gown with a parka would look more than a little silly. The ball gown is from One Vintage (29) and the cape is from Martin Grant. (30)

Dreaming big

Yes, I'm aware that the items on my collage are quite expensive, and way out of my own budget. But, as this is my dream wardrobe, I didn't want to fill it with clothes from fast fashion chains. I want timeless pieces that will endure time and will last good-looking for more than a few rounds in the laundry machine. Not that a high fashion brand name automatically equals good quality. Most of the time the clothes aren't much better than the fast fashion copies, at least not quality-wise. These items mostly function as inspiration for me. In the end my wardrobe might consist of second-hand and handmade clothes, rather than of these high end products.

1350 potential outfit combinations

Oh, and remember how I mentioned that at first I thought that having only 30 pieces of clothing hanging in your closet would mean boring outfits that look the same? Well, I did some Maths, and in the end, with this wardrobe I have 1350 potential outfit combinations, and even more when we add the accessories! Yes, I'd probably wear the same combination several times, but with a little imagination you can go far, even with only 30 pieces of clothing. Just make sure they match colour and style-wise.

--

Iedereen kent het gevoel. Je staart naar je uitpuilende kast en denkt: ik heb niks om aan te doen.. Hoe kan dat? Hoe kan het dat al je geweldige kleren een grote grijze massa vormen waar je ineens geen zin meer in hebt?

Ik droom graag van de ultieme kledingkast. Alles matcht met alles, alle kleren staan me goed en passen bij m'n stijl. De kast is netjes opgeruimd en ziet er niet uit alsof er net een bom is afgegaan. Geen shopping-disasters.

Maar hoe?!

Less is more


Heel lang geleden hoorde ik ergens dat je een alles omvattende kledingkast van 30 items kan maken. Toen klonk het gek, dan heb je natuurlijk elke dag hetzelfde aan! Maar nu begin ik door te krijgen dat dat best wel kan kloppen. Geinspireerd door deze collage van Everyday Minimalist besloot ik om er zelf een te maken.



Essentials


Dus wat heb ik nou echt nodig?

Jassen


(nummers 1 en 2 in de collage)
Een klassieke trenchcoat moet er bij zitten. In m'n collage heb ik de Burberry Prorsum Tweed trench, (1) maar ik zou gemakkelijk met een ander merk rond kunnen lopen, zolang het maar goede kwaliteit is en het lekker zit. Voor het minder warme weer heb ik een parka nodig, ik heb die van Woolrich uitgekozen. (2)

Blazers

(nummers 3 - 5 in de collage)
Jassen zijn een must, maar blazers ook, tenminste, dat vind ik. Als ik een blazer zoek ga ik meestal voor een classic cut, alhoewel ik de oversized blazers ook leuk vind, zoals de See by Chloé blazer (3). Een marineblauwe blazer is ook een veilige keus, een echte klassieker. Zwart is ook goed, maar dat is soms te grof voor mijn huidskleur, dus in m'n collage heb ik deze marineblauwe van Majestic. (4) De iconische Coco is ook het overwegen waard. Deze iets modernere versie is van Selected, (5) maar ik maak er dan misschien liever zelf een.

Breiwerken

(nummers 6 - 8)
Ik heb het altijd koud en ik draag het hele jaar door gebreide truien, dus ik heb liever echte wol dan synthetische materialen, omdat de echte niet heel warm wordt in de zomer. De korte versie met knopen van de Finse designer Samuji (6) is echt prachtig, maar ik kan er natuurlijk ook zelf een maken. Een grof en wit breiwerk is ook een must-have, die in m'n collage is van Isabel Marant. (7) Ik vind het ook lekker om ze als een jurk te dragen op luie dagen, waar ik een langere, bijna jurkachtig breiwerk voor nodig heb. De lengte is ook lekker voor in de winter, om die vervelende UTIs weg te houden. De oversize versie in mijn collage is van Acne. (8)

Tops

(nummers 9 - 13)
Standaard topjes voor mij alsjeblieft! Een shirt met lange mouwen past overal bij en moet in de collectie. Die in mijn collage is van Calvin Klein en heet Finland… (9) Wat een toeval! Grijze sweaters zijn ook leuk, ze zijn comfortabel inpassen overal bij. De grijze kasjmier pullover in mijn collectie is van Equipment. (10) Witte t-shirts zijn ook een must-have. Het is een lege canvas en kan echt overal bij. In mijn collectie zit die van Samuji. (11) Een shirt met knoopjes is ook nodig voor een zakelijke look, maar in plaats van een traditionele, zou ik kiezen voor een zonder mouwen, zoals die van Chloé. (12) De zwarte top met kant is voor formele uitjes, of een avondje uit. Deze is ook van Chloé. (13)

Broeken

(nummers 14 - 18)
Ik ben meer een mens van jurken en rokken, maar de laatste tijd heb ik ook vroegen aan. Klassieke 'cigarette' broeken zijn m'n favoriet, in verschillende soorten stofjes, waaronder ook tweed. Slim-fit broeken zijn ook een must-have dezer dagen en een stretchende stof zorgt ervoor dat ze ook als comfypants te dragen zijn. Simpel en klassiek. (14 van Chloé, 15, 16 and 17 van Tommy Hilfiger) Natuurlijk heb ik ook een joggingbroek nodig, zelfs al is het alleen voor de luie dagen. Die in mijn collage is van Selected. (18)

Korte broeken

(nummers 19 en 20)
Shorts zijn voor de zomer en de herfst en daarom essentieel voor je kledingkast. Ik heb twee soorten gekozen en spijkerstof zal je bij mij niet vinden. De blauwe satijnen shorts zijn perfect voor een relaxte outfit en een formelere outfit en met shorts vind ik de kleur niet zo erg. Die in mijn collage zijn van T by Alexander Wang. (19) De korte tweed broek kan ook leuk zijn in de herfst en de zomer. Ik heb gekozen voor die van Alice+Olivia. (20)

Rokken

(nummers 21 - 24)
Ik hou van rokken. Met de juiste lengte zijn ze zo leuk en alles verhullend. Mijn favoriete hebben een A-lijn en zijn tot m'n knieën of iets daarboven. Die passen het beste bij mij en mijn 162,5 centimeters. Ik ben vorig jaar verlieft geworden op plooirokken, ze zijn zo universeel. Ik kan mezelf het kanten topje met de plooirok combineren voor een iets formelere look en voor een relaxte outfit zet ik er een grijze sweater of wit breiwerk op. De plooirok uit mijn collage komt van Chloé. (21) Houndstooth is een van mijn favoriete prints, ook met rokken. De McQ Alexander McQueen rok is gewoon perfect. (22) Natuurlijk hoort de standaard pencil skirt er ook bij, hoewel ik liever een iets meer casual rok zou willen, vooral deze van James Perse. (23) Een zwarte rok is ook een must-have en de wollen rok van Marc Jacobs is zeker welkom in mijn kledingkast. (24) Of ik maak hem lekker zelf.

Jurken

(nummers 25 - 28)
Jurken, ik kan er niet genoeg van krijgen. Je kan ze altijd zo makkelijk aanpassen aan je gelegenheid. Klassieke jurken zijn, niet echt verrassend, mijn favoriet. De grijze Chloé is gewoon perfect en ik wil zeker iets wat er op lijkt. (25) De fuchsia Thakoon jurk is iets formeler, (26) een echte eyecatcher op elk feest, maar gemakkelijk simpel te maken met een wit breiwerk. Ik vind dat een meisje minstens 1 wild gekleurde jurk moet hebben, voor als je een confidence boost nodig hebt. Een gestreepte jurk is ook een klassieker, perfect voor de zomer en een waterlook en natuurlijk kunnen we de kleine zwarte jurk niet vergeten. Als een meisje een wild gekleurde jurk nodig heeft, heeft ze zeker een zwarte nodig, zelfs als ze normaal gesproken geen zwart draagt. Niet om negatief te klinken, maa er is altijd wel een situatie te bedenken wanneer je een zwarte jurk nodig hebt en dan is het beter om er een in de kast te hebben, dan om tijdens een emotioneel moment te gaan shoppen. Natuurlijk, een zwarte jurk kan ook op leuke events gedragen worden, zoals cocktail parties. De gestreepte jurk en de zwarte jurk komen van Samuji. (27 en 28)

Extra's

(nummers 29 en 30)
Om eerlijk te zijn had ik het met 28 ook gered, maar 30 klinkt beter. Dus, omdat extra's altijd makkelijk zijn om te hebben, heb ik een galajurk en een cape. Er zijn niet veel momenten waarop je ze kan dragen, maar als je dan toch een keer uitgenodigd wordt op een bal, kun je er maar beter een hebben. Een cape is ook mooi, het kan je avondkleding mooi aankleden. Een mooie jurk met parka zal er meer dan raar uitzien. De jurk is van One Vintage (29) en de cape van Martin Grant. (30)


Groot dromen


Ja, ik weet dat de items in mijn collage erg duus zijn, en ver buiten mijn budget. Maar, omdat dit mijn droomkleren zijn, wilde ik niet kleren kiezen van de grote ketens. Ik wil tijdloze kleren die lang meegaan en er na een paar keer wassen ook nog goed uitzien. Niet dat een duur merk automatisch de kleren ook goed maakt. Meestal zijn de kleren niet veel beter dan de goedkope kopieën, tenminste, niet qua kwaliteit. Deze items zijn vooral inspiratie voor mij, aan het eind van de dag zal mijn kast volhangen met tweedehands en zelfgemaakte kleren en niet deze dure items.


1350 mogelijke combinaties


Oh en weer je nog toen ik in het begin zei dan met 30 items je elke dag dezelfde saaie outfits aan zou hebben? Nou ik heb het rekensommetje voor je gemaakt en uiteindelijk biedt deze kledingkast 1350 potentiële outfits en zelfs nog meer als we de accessoires er ook bij tellen! Ja, ik zal waarschijnlijk dezelfde combinatie meerdere keren dragen, maar met een beetje creativiteit kan je ver komen, zelfs met maar 30 kledingstukken. Zorg er gewoon voor dat ze qua kleur en stijl bij elkaar passen.

21 comments:

  1. such a well written n well researched basi wardrobe staple ! I still need a lot more !
    ✿thefashionflite
    ✿twitter
    ✿Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For me these 30 would actually be enough, with the right accessories of course... Accessories post is next up in the series ;)

      Delete
  2. what a chic! in love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picks. Everyday Minimalist and two t-shirts. Jaiks...I got like three pair of jeans and 27 t-shirts in my 30 pair of clothes :D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos :) Niinhän se on, että kaikilla on ihan yksilölliset tarpeet vaatteiden suhteen... Toiset tykkää mekoista, toiset housuista. Itse yritin tähän kerätä sellaisia vaatekappaleita, joilla saa sopivan asun mahdollisimman moneen tilanteeseen. Asusteilla voi sitten muodistaa ja piristää muuten todella klassisia ja neutraaleita asuja. Asusteista sitten postaus myöhemmin ;)

      Ja muuten, saisihan noilla sun 30 vaatekappaleella jopa 81 erilaista asua :D

      Delete
    2. Täytyy Hollantiin muuttaessa vähän ryhdistäytyä, siivota vaatekaappi ja vähän päivitellä riepuja, kun täällä ei tule oikeen käytettyä mitään muuta kuin bilemekkoja lauantaisin ja muuten jotkut tallityöhön sopivat tai mökki-lämpötiloihin kelpaavat vaatteet vaan niskaan. :D

      Delete
  4. I love all the coats you picked! They are such an essential part of an outfit...especially if you live in a climate that gets cold weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, coats are definitely essential with all the wind and rain and the occasional snow!

      I love wool coats, especially ones that are almost 100% wool, they rock at keeping the cold and moisture at the bay... But I'll make a post about materials and textiles later on, I still need to do some research for it first :)

      Delete
  5. Mahtava postaus :) En kyllä ikinä osaa kuvitella saavani vaatekaappiani 30 vaatteen kokoiseksi, mutta ajatuksena toi on ihan mieletön :) No, eiköhän operaatio shoppailulakko opeta paljon hyviä tapoja mullekin :D ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos :) Kyllähän se vaikuttaa aika hurjalta operaatiolta, vaatekaapin kutistaminen, mutta toisaalta olisi ihanaa, jos vaatekaapissa olisi pelkkiä lempparivaatteita eikä niin paljon 'noh, eiköhän tolle jotain käyttöä keksi' kategoriaan kuuluvia tapauksia :D

      Alusvaatteita yms. ei tuohon ole tietenkään sisällytetty, mutta asusteista ja sen sellaisista laitan postausta myöhemmin ♥

      Delete
  6. Never thought that with 30 pieces of clothing we can have 1350 potential outfit combinations ! Wow ! You did a pretty good calculation. I love all your picks, they are really great ones. They are both timeless, classy and stylish. The colors you chose are subtle , which really gives me a serene vibe just looking at them.
    have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked this post, and I agree, I chose rather subtle colours, and not entirely on purpose. Subtle colours are easier to pair with each other, and you can always glam them up with some more colourful accessories, but I think that subtle colours also just happen to please my eyes more. Maybe it's a little boring, but grey is my favourite colour in clothes... I just feel the most comfortable in grey :D

      I hope your weekend has been lovely!

      Delete
  7. I love this post so much! You took a lot of time and it's great because so many people think they need a ton of things to make several outfits when really you need a few good staples :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you have no idea how happy you made me with this comment! :)

      Making this post was a bit of an eye-opener for myself too.. I mean, with only 30 pieces of clothing I could wear a different outfit every single day for over 3,5 years! And that's without adding the accessories... I think I'll definitely be working towards a wardrobe like this :D

      Delete
  8. I love this! I wish I had a wardrobe like this too :) so practical and I'm a practical girl haha! Great idea for a post!

    I hope you're having a great weekend! //Niina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think deep down that I'm quite practical too, so maybe that's why the idea of getting rid of all the extra in my life, be it clothes or clutter in general, appeals to me so much. :)

      Delete
  9. Heel goede post! Je hebt volledig gelijk :) Je hebt erg leuke stuks uitgekozen. Mijn favorieten zijn ook briewerken, jurken en rokken. En die galajurk is zo mooi!

    XO, Imke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel ♥ Ik zou erg heeeel blij zijn als ik had alle die stukjes in mijn kleding kast :D

      Delete
  10. i totally know the feeling! I always spend at least an hour in the morning trying on different things. These are great suggestions, and i love that it's in 2 different languages!

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how lovely it would be to able to pick out clothes from the closet without a clothing crisis! My life would be so much easier, and my conscience wouldn't be bugging me so much either :D

      But thanks, and I'm really glad if this post was any help to you :) And about the languages... I usually try to write my posts in three languages: English, Finnish (my native language) and Dutch (my fiancé's native language) simply because I think Google Translate wouldn't really do justice to the text ;) But sometimes I get lazy and post only in English or in two languages :D

      Delete

Click Here for Comment Guidelines

Thank you so much for your comment! I'll try to get back to you asap! Anonymous commenters, please use a nickname! ♥

Kiitos kommentistasi! Pyrin vastaamaan siihen mahdollisimman pian! Anonyymit, olkaa ystävällisiä ja käyttäkää nimimerkkiä! ♥

Hartstikke bedankt voor je reactie! Ik probeer zo snel mogelijk te reageren! Anonieme mensen, gebruik alsjeblieft een nickname! ♥

Tu peux commenter en français!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...